Rocket Lab Testing Update ― 24 May 2017
Rocket Lab scrubs test launch attempt from Launch Complex 1
Rocket Lab, an American-New Zealand aerospace company, has postponed the test launch of its Electron vehicle today due to weather conditions. The planned launch attempt will now take place on Thursday, May 25, 2017.
Peter Beck, CEO and founder of Rocket Lab, says poor weather is delaying the launch attempt of Rocket Lab’s first test rocket titled ‘It’s a Test’.
“Similar to yesterday, high altitude cloud created a risk of triboelectrification. Our team were able to fuel the vehicle and prepare it for flight, but worsening weather conditions meant we were forced to delay. We’ll have another go tomorrow. The team did a great job today, and our operations are running smoothly.
“We were targeting a 2pm launch where there was a window clear of triboelectrification, but a front quickly moved up the country and closed the window of opportunity to launch.
“We have weather scientists on site who advise us in real time about changing conditions, as well as using weather balloons and satellite data to assess if launch criteria is met.
“We’d like to thank local residents, supporters and emergency services for their patience.
“Because this is a test launch, our weather constraints are more restrictive than they will be during commercial operations. We are focussed on the best possible weather conditions for launch. This is so we can focus on testing the rocket as a priority, rather than its ability to deal with adverse weather conditions.
“Safety is Rocket Lab’s number one priority and we are following guidelines set by the FAA and NASA around weather and launch safety.”
During the test phase, it’s common for planned launches to be postponed to ensure ideal conditions. The launch attempt will now occur on Thursday, May 25, 2017.
For updates from Rocket Lab, follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/RocketLabUSA