About The Role
ABOUT THE ROLE
At Rocket Lab, we believe the future will be defined and enabled by access to space. As a world leader in launch and space systems, we’re making that future a reality and enabling the ideas of tomorrow to reach orbit today. We’re unlocking the potential of space and ushering in a new era of opportunity and exploration in orbit to improve life on Earth.
This is a rare opportunity to play a pivotal role in supporting Rocket Lab’s evolution from a pure-play launch company, to an end-to-end mission provider that delivers launch, satellites, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future, enabling innovative small sat missions in low Earth orbit and beyond. This team is developing satellite solutions selected by NASA for missions to the Moon in 2021, and they’re furthering our plans for the exploration of Venus and the wider solar system. Now is your chance to play a key role in shaping these exciting missions.
Based in Long Beach, California, the VP of Space Systems will develop and execute the strategy for this evolving division. They will apply an entrepreneurial mindset with outstanding organizational and leadership skills to encourage diverse thinking to promote and nurture innovation. As a member of the executive team, this role is perfect for someone with significant experience in the space industry who possesses the insight to; architect a roadmap of the industry’s most innovative platform products and services, develop strategic customer relationships, build out a strong team, orchestrate strategic R&D initiatives, partner with Global Production and Operations to aggressively scale manufacturing and shorten time-to-market, and identify and execute on entering vertical market applications for the Space Systems division.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Leverage experience and use market insight to develop and implement the strategic plan for Rocket Lab’s Space Systems division
- Leverage experience of senior leaders within division and throughout the company to guide the space systems product and services roadmap
- Build and lead a dedicated and efficient team, providing mentorship and opportunities for growth and development
- Establish team direction, schedules, and key objectives with a focus on driving excellence and continuous improvement
- Develop strong relationships across all levels of the business to ensure alignment, efficiency and collaboration
- Develop and maintain accurate annual operating and capital budgets
- Effectively evaluate overall success of division and pivot as required to maintain high level goals
- Domestic and international travel will be required
Required Experience and Education
- Bachelor's degree or master's degree in business administration and/or Aerospace Engineering
- 15+ years’ experience in satellite industry or a closely related industry, such as launch vehicles
- Experience leading, managing and growing geographically disperse teams on fast-paced projects
- Highly effective and professional verbal and written communication skills with team and internal/external customers
- Track record of world-class mission assurance, quality, attention to detail, and dedication
- Strong knowledge and applied experiences in engineering and manufacturing of space systems
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance management principles
- Familiarity with diverse business functions such as sales, marketing, PR, finance, and operations
- Readily takes ownership and action on challenges, and steps up to manage tough situations while encouraging colleagues and direct reports to do the same
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.