About The Role
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
SPACECRAFT SYSTEMS ENGINEER
Reporting to the program Chief Engineer and collaboratively closely with team members across all subsystems, the systems engineer will be responsible for the development and maintenance of technical budgets, requirements definition, test planning and execution, analysis and simulations, management of the overall systems engineering process and application, hardware testing, and management of subcontractors and vendors.
Working within the systems engineering group, the team is responsible for the overall technical architecture of the vehicle and for overall development of the vehicle, from initial concept definition through on-orbit operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and own technical development of Rocket Lab spacecraft missions.
- Develop and maintain technical budgets for vehicle performance.
- Develop and manage system requirements and verification techniques.
- Develop simulations and perform analysis across vehicle functions.
- Develop test methods and participate in testing and data analysis.
- Assist with program management and product management.
- Develop, in collaboration with team members, interface specifications, CONOPS definition, and other design documents.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, or equivalent engineering degree. Advance degree preferred.
- 0 to 3 years of experience specifically on satellite development programs.
- Understanding of key spacecraft subsystems and their associated components including; attitude determination and control (ADCS), electrical power systems (EPS), space-ground communications, on-orbit command and data handling (C&DH), and thermal control.
- Expertise in Matlab, Python, or comparable.
- Demonstrated success working in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Thorough understanding of the space environment, orbital mechanics, and rigid body dynamics.
- Experience testing electrical subsystems and assemblies.
- Experience with environmental testing, such as thermal vacuum or random vibration testing.
- Experience with satellite operations.
- Proficiency with STK.
- Experience with requirements management tools such as JAMA or DOORS.
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop testing.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status