About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
SPACECRAFT COMPONENT SALES ENGINEER
Based out of Rocket Lab's site in Toronto, Canada as part of the Sinclair acquisition, the Spacecraft Component Sales Engineer is the primary Toronto-based interface between reaction wheel and star tracker customers and the engineering, production, and management teams. You will support the Business Development organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Work with the engineering team to provide technical support to customers
- Work with the production team to provide achievable lead time quotations to customers
- Generate proposals for new business opportunities in collaboration with the business development and engineering teams
- Lead efforts to attract new business to the company’s established products
- Work with the management team to forecast demand and inform production, inventory, and staffing decisions
- Work with the business development team to monitor business performance, forecast demand, and present to the Finance and Executive teams
- Collaborate with the Communications and Business Development teams in managing reaction wheel and start tracker collateral, marketing material, and data sheets
- Lead efforts to improve and standardize customer-facing product technical documentation
- Remain current on the latest satellite competitive landscape, customer demand trends, and market to support forecasting of component sales, support pricing, support new product development, and provide support for the Space Systems product and services roadmap
- Monitor product costs to inform pricing decisions and design/process trades
- Work with Lab Manager to formulate business cases for facility upgrades and expansions
- Travel to relevant conferences and customer locations to lead component business development activities
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS (Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- Professional or internship experience in an engineering role within the aerospace industry
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with or exposure to design, manufacture, and/or test of spacecraft hardware
- Experience with space-based product lines
- Highly organized and able to solve problems independently, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate effectively with team members having diverse skillsets and expertise
- Ability to communicate complex issues in a digestible manner for customers, staff, and executives
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Sales management experience and familiarity with diverse business functions such as sales, marketing, public relations, finance, and operations
- Extensive awareness of current commercial and government satellite programs
- Experience working with dynamic, geographically disperse teams on fast-paced projects
- Readily takes ownership and action on challenges, and steps up to manage tough situations while encouraging colleagues and direct reports to do the same
- Practiced with the use of customer relationship management software
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance management principles
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering or related engineering field (electrical, mechanical, computer science, etc.)
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.