About The Role
Make everything you do a work of art." - Peter Beck
Why Rocket Lab?
Rocket Lab is redefining how we access space by providing frequent and reliable launch to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) - we’re opening access to space to improve life on Earth. Rocket Lab is the global market leader in dedicated small satellite launch, with a strong leadership team, solid financial backing and a full launch manifest. To meet the growing demand of dedicated small satellite launch, Rocket Lab is assembling a world-class team.
Rocket Lab is its people. We are seeking passionate, highly-skilled individuals who are comfortable working in a dynamic, technically challenging environment where they will be given ownership of processes from start-to-finish.
Space Systems Senior Development
Rocket Lab is seeking a Senior Development Technician who is passionate about pushing the space sector boundaries.
Initially there will be training on Rocket Lab systems and procedures in Electron Avionics Production while also supporting the space systems department while the manufacturing processes are matured. They need to be able to traverse both R&D and Manufacturing environments with ease. A curious nature and high attention to detail is a must in order to support rapid prototyping of Photon and Space System components.
Duties & Responsibilities
Rapid Prototype Development and Production
- Perform development and production of Space System componentry and Satellites with minimal documentation and oversight. Utilizing detailed knowledge of electronic and mechanical fabrication methods to assemble or perform rework. Components include Reaction Wheels, Star trackers, Deep Space Radios, Magnetorquers, Flight Computers and Solar Panel Arrays.
- Experience using electronic testing equipment including but not limited to oscilloscopes, power supplies, function generators, network analyzer and multimeters. Perform test’s on prototyping hardware with minimal direction from engineers.
- Experience with adhering too and developing industry standard environments (ESD safe zones and clean room). Is familiar with ISO 9000 or AS9100 requirements that pertain to these environments.
- Can manufacture and integrate space standard harnesses and is familiar with IPC/WHMA-A-620C and/or AC 43.13
- Can solder components onto PCB’s to J-STD space addendum down to 0201 package size.
- Can correctly perform accurate measurements and quality inspections using calibrated tooling. For example, calipers or micrometers.
- Can perform system level faultfinding activities on an integrated satellite. For example, continuity checks, functional checks and live voltage measurements.
- Ownership of completion (not creating) of the weekly plan for the assigned product’s, problem solving daily issues and if they cannot be solved, escalating to the leading hand or supervisor.
- Active team player, fostering a positive and fun working environment
- Author new or revised assembly work procedures and documentation as required and ensure they are aligned with industry standards and practices.
- Ensure all modifications, deviations and updates are accurately tracked in Rocket Lab systems.
- Follow department policy for As-built accuracy, Non-conformance and quality process while in the manufacturing environment.
- Always looking for improvements. Raise these to your leadership team or supporting engineer to highlight improvement ideas on reducing flight risk or design for manufacture.
- Think creatively; question the status quo while actively and diligently executing as per the instructions.
- Be an active leader of the local 5S work center, suggesting improvements and actively taking on jobs that benefit the department.
- Always highlight any abnormality - whether produced by yourself or someone else.
- Honesty and accountability are mandatory requirements.
- Authorize release of flight hardware from area for hardware you are certified as an expert in
- Authorize new/changed work instructions for hardware you are certified on.
- Carry out detailed inspection’s on product as defined by the Work Instructions and be able to identify non-conformance beyond the specified scope of inspection for the components you have significant experience in.
Health & Safety
- Follow all health and safety policies and procedures.
- Wear correct PPE as applicable.
- Report near misses and incidents promptly.
- Show required conviction to stop production or processes if they present a health and safety risk.
- Contribute to the work center team by;
- Attending regular meetings both in R&D and production and contribute as a technical leader
- Complete assigned efficiency projects and 5S tasks.
- Making suggestions/improvements to production processes and techniques
Required Experience and Skills
- Demonstrate 10+ years of relevant industry experience in development of space systems or satellite componentry.
- A high work rate and be able to work overtime and long hours if needed
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as autonomously
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.