About The Role
ABOUT ROCKET LAB
At Rocket Lab we believe the future will be defined and enabled by access to space. We’re making it easy to get there. We’re already the global leader in dedicated small satellite launch and now we’re also building satellites and space systems that enable exploration and innovation in low Earth orbit and beyond.
THE PHOTON PROGRAM
Rocket Lab is seeking exceptional engineers to work on its recently-announced Photon program. Photon is a first-of-its-kind platform in the small satellite industry: a versatile satellite bus that is also an integral part of the launch vehicle. Engineers within the Photon team have a unique opportunity to help shape this space system and, given the high launch cadence of Electron, have unparalleled opportunities for end-to-end system development and on-orbit operations. The successful candidate will have a strong set of technical skills, will have experience in related projects, and will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
SPACE OPERATIONS SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Rocket Lab is seeking a Software Engineer to support the development of Photon, with an emphasis on operations software. In this role, you will be working to develop our Space Operations Software that is responsible for commanding and data handling for all of Photon’s operations in space. This role will involve developing software to work with cloud technologies, mission & ground software, customer APIs, and large databases.
- Develop software for the operation of space systems and associated ground infrastructure (such as ground stations, mission control, etc)
- Develop and evolve ground-based software architecture for spacecraft operations
- Work closely with flight software developers, operations personnel, and systems engineers to understand requirements and functional needs
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience within a software engineering related field
- Familiar with Cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud)
- Familiar with Database Design and Implementation
- Experience in Full Stack and/or Web Development
- Experience using Git or other version control systems
- Experience using Jira, Redmine, or other ticketing system
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience working in small and agile teams
- Experience with clean-sheet design/architecture
- Experience interfacing with internal and/or external customers
- Experience with Docker or other containerization technologies
- Experience with space or launch vehicle mission operations
- Experience with NoSQL and/or SQL
- Experience with Python
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.