About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
SENIOR SPACECRAFT THERMAL ENGINEER
Based out of Rocket Lab’s global headquarters in Long Beach, the Senior Spacecraft Thermal Engineer is responsible for overseeing the thermal design, analysis, testing, and validation of Rocket Lab’s space vehicles. You’ll be expected to perform thermal modeling and data analysis while working closely with the test and design engineers to capture the vehicle’s thermal performance and provide input for design improvements. You will support the Space Systems organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Complete thermal modeling and analysis of vehicles
- Conduct thermal design trade studies that successfully balance performance margins, resource use, risk, cost, and schedule
- Identify and resolve thermal design, acceptance, and performance issues for space vehicle components and assemblies
- Design and execute thermal tests for space vehicle components and assemblies
- Perform thermal model validation using test and in-flight data
- Liaise with all levels of program and engineering staff on thermal design and test matters, and support other teams/disciplines as necessary
- Identify and research potential vendors of thermal control materials
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS (Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering; or other engineering degree
- 7+ years of thermal engineering experience
- Experience with spacecraft or satellite development programs
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Strong background in heat transfer
- Experience with thermal systems and passive thermal management techniques
- Familiarity using Siemens NX and Teamcenter, with emphasis on model interrogation and defeaturing for subsequent analyses
- Demonstrated experience with Thermal Desktop
- Experience with planning, execution, and data analysis of thermal balance tests
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently but also build strong working relationships with colleagues
- Experience with constant conductance and variable conductance heat pipes
- Experience working with multi-layer insulation: design, fabrication, installation, and test
- Experience with 0-D and 1-D thermal/fluid networks
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Python and MATLAB
- Familiarity with thermal engineering tools such as NX Space Systems Thermal, ANSYS, SINDA, and THERMICA
- Knowledge of aspects of launch and on-orbit operations
- Familiarity with orbital mechanics and attitude dynamics related to thermal analysis
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.