About The Role
Founded in June 2006 as a center for advanced space systems, Rocket Lab’s goal is to remove the commercial barriers to space by providing frequent launch opportunities to low orbit Earth.
Rocket Lab is rapidly expanding to meet the global demand for our commercial launch service. The Huntington Beach facility is seeking passionate, highly-skilled individuals who are comfortable working in a dynamic, technically challenging environment where they will be given ownership of processes from start-to-finish. We believe that an empowered and motivated workforce has been the cornerstone of our success and will be essential to long-term growth as we redefine how the world accesses space.
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Rocket Lab in Huntington Beach is seeking a senior manufacturing engineer to join us at an exciting and important time in our company’s history. The senior manufacturing engineer will play an integral role in our future success as we commence rapid production rate increases to Rutherford, the innovative engine powering Electron. The ideal candidate has; experience scaling production to maturity; an in-depth knowledge of machining processes and experience working in an R&D manufacturing environment.
Key Responsibilities Include
Process & Tooling
- Provide Engineering support for day-to-day production and inspection processes
- Develop production procedures and processes and ensure they are accurately and clearly documented, including testing procedures, health and safety requirements and supervisor sign-offs.
- Design, develop, and implement tooling for use in a production environment where appropriate to improve quality, delivery and/or cost performance
- Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in design for manufacture, design for test, productivity, supplier capability assessments, quality control, etc.
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions.
- When required, lead problem containment and root cause & corrective action investigations
- Quickly analyze and resolve manufacturing discrepancies and non-conformances.
- Interface with the quality team for rework and deviations.
- Perform structured root cause analysis of in-process failures
- Liaison between production, quality, supply chain and design engineering staff for complex problem solving and process changes.
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume requirements including preparation of business cases
- Lead the continuous improvement process in your area using Lean tools and techniques.
- Introduce automation where appropriate and ensure equipment data links directly to MRP and quality systems.
- Ability to develop necessary new processes where none exists
- 4-year degree in engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, or Manufacturing)
- 5+ years’ of experience in a manufacturing environment.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.