About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc. provider flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our component’s business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
SENIOR EMBEDDED LINUX DEVELOPER
This role is for someone who wants to see their software make a big impact on the way we explore space and use it as a platform for discovery and innovation. While your software settles into life in space, you’ll be based in our Long Beach HQ working amongst the rockets and Photon spacecraft as they’re built and collaborating with the vibrant, dedicated, and talented people who have made Rocket Lab into the global leader it is today.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO
- Maintain Linux kernels used for embedded systems
- Develop and modify device drivers to interface to programmable logic components
- Develop and maintain embedded Linux root file-systems with Yocto
- Develop application software to run within a Real Time Operating System (RTOS)
- Develop and maintain comprehensive unit tests to run within a Continuous Integration framework.
- Collaborate with hardware-in-the-loop test engineers to verify and validate combined software and hardware functionality.
- Collaborate with systems engineers and embedded systems engineers in developing, documenting and validating requirements.
- Participate in review of source code changes and ensure all changes meet company coding standards.
- Participate in design reviews such as a PDR and CDR.
- Assist with on-orbit (and interplanetary!) flight operations.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS
- Embedded Linux deployment configuration e.g. Yocto, Buildroot
- Embedded Linux development in an ARM environment e.g. Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone
- Proficiency in C and C++ languages and development environments.
- Proficiency developing socket based Linux network applications.
- Demonstrated success working in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities.
- Document management & software systems engineering experience.
Required Education & Experience:
- An engineering degree in computer science, electrical engineering, computer engineering, or equivalent qualification.
- 5+ years of demonstrated applicable experience in embedded Linux software development.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE
- Linux kernel driver development
- Experience interfacing Linux applications with programmable logic components
- Linux network configuration with iptables, netfilter, qdisc
- Proficiency with Python and bash
- Experience with Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) such as uC/OS or FreeRTOS.
- Experience developing software and drivers for serial interfaces such as UART, SPI, I2C within an embedded system.
- Experience developing software for autonomous vehicles operating in harsh environments, such as satellites, UAVs, rovers, or autonomous underwater vehicles.
- Experience working within an agile or scrum based workflow.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.