About The Role
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week.
Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented. While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Senior Cost Accountant
The Senior Cost Accountant position is responsible for the cost accounting function for the enterprise, costing projects, margin analysis and tracing costs back to underlying activities. This position requires the ability to develop and maintain accurate costing and valuation for inventory. The Senior Cost Accountant will have daily contact with Controller and partner with various team members throughout the organization. These interactions require strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
- Establish cost accounting policies and procedures to arrive at accurate standards for inventory valuation.
- Develop and maintain bills of material and assign labor and overhead cost to finished product.
- Analyze trends in cost variances, production volumes, and material usage and implement timely adjustments. Troubleshoot and research unexplained inventory transactions.
- Investigate cycle counting variances and resolve issues.
- Review and close work orders based on aging.
- Focus on improvement including; all facets of cost accounting, inventory control, variance analysis, gross margin analysis, forecasting & system improvement.
- Assist in the accounting month-end process by preparing accrual journal entries, raw material cost allocations, reclassifying operating expenses and distributing manufacturing variances by-product and categories.
- Collaborates with other department managers in reporting and reviewing various trends and key performance indicators.
- Generate and distribute weekly/monthly/quarterly spend, inventory, and production reports as needed.
- Participate in annual operating plan preparation and strategic plan preparation as required, primarily in the development of manufacturing costs and the calculation of standard margin and gross profit.
- Initiate process improvement projects to update transactional, financial, and reporting processes.
- Provide support with internal and external audit requests.
- Strong skills in variance analysis, attention to detail, organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
- Strong analytical & independent problem-solving skills to evaluate financial results.
- Ensuring compliance with GAAP and/or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal & written communication skills & the ability to explain complex information to others.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Advanced Excel skills a must.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the general ledger and cost accounting area.
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment, preferably within the aerospace and defense industry.
- ERP experience using Infor LN, Oracle, JDE, SAP or similar ERP system.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.