About The Role
Founded in June 2006 as a center for advanced space systems, Rocket Lab’s goal is to remove the commercial barriers to space by providing frequent launch opportunities to low orbit Earth.
Rocket Lab is rapidly expanding to meet the global demand for our commercial launch service. The Huntington Beach facility is seeking passionate, highly-skilled individuals who are comfortable working in a dynamic, technically challenging environment where they will be given ownership of processes from start-to-finish. We believe that an empowered and motivated workforce has been the cornerstone of our success and will be essential to our long-term growth as we redefine how the world accesses space.
PRINCIPAL QUALITY ENGINEER
The Principal Quality Engineer will ensure the reliability of flight components and assemblies. This individual will evaluate product and process output data to drive improvements in manufacturing quality, and actively represent quality objectives in design and development teams.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, manufacturing, mechanical or material sciences engineering.
- 10+ years in a quality, manufacturing, or design engineering role.
- Developed and recruited a quality department team.
- Knowledge of quality tools such as Lean principles, Six Sigma, Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action, Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Metrology, Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (P-FMEA), Control Plans, and various problem solving approaches.
- Conducted complete system capacity analysis.
- Proven track record of year-on-year process improvement activities.
- Able to identify new technologies and develop to real shop floor solutions.
- Has lead major improvement projects. Including Capex, People and process design.
- Dedicated to adopting a Lean approach to quality without compromising safety or reliability.
- Developed and maintained budgets and forecasts for a major production area of several years.
- Conducted both process and design FMEAs resulting in substantial reduction of risk and design changes.
- Supported production of complex electro-mechanical, mechanical, or composites systems in high-volume work centers and/or during production ramp-up.
- Able to identify technical solutions to bottlenecks including specification, assessing alternatives, ROI analysis and successful justification in Finance/CAPEX approval process.
- Successfully introduced new product to shop floor and was part of the pre-development design for manufacture process.
- Ability to work extended hours, weekends, and offsite as needed.
- International and domestic travel will be required.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.