About The Role
The Production Design Engineering group support the Electron production line, developing the tooling, jigs and fixtures required to support and improve the manufacturability of Electron.
- Managing the team of 5+ Production Design Engineers
- Allocation of assignments to the other engineers
- Responsible for the quality and delivery of the group output.
- Checking designs and drawings
- Liaising with key stakeholders in the business to define priorities and deadlines
- Training and mentoring of developing engineers
- Promoting a customer-supplier relationship with Rocket Lab production technicians
- Assisting the Production Manager with the recruitment of new team members
- Conduct performance reviews and 1 on 1 meetings
- Liaising with the procurement team on the acquisition of new designs
- Liaising with assembly technicians on the construction of new designs
- A mechanical engineering degree or equivalent qualification
- 10+ year’s work experience in mechanical design
- Evidence of prior experience in engineering management
- A thorough understanding of manufacturing equipment, including mechanical assembly, fabrication, sheet metal, and pneumatics/hydraulics
- Experience using Solidworks CAD and PDM packages (or comparable industry standard packages)
- Experience in structuring and working with large assemblies
- In-depth understanding of electrical or mechatronic systems not required but is preferred
- Proactive, enthusiastic, creative and open to learning
- Capable of leading a team as well as working autonomously
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines, with the ability to access and prioritise conflicting requirements
- Proven communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships
- Heavy emphasis on achievement and details - getting things done efficiently, effectively and to the highest quality standards
- The ability to take a flexible approach and to adapt to change quickly
- Have tenacity and a can do attitude
- Process driven thinker – able to develop new systems and processes where required.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.