About The Role
The role will be based out of Rocket Lab USA HQ in Long Beach, CA and require travel to customers and launch sites worldwide. Candidate must be comfortable with frequent travel.
As the Mission Mgr., you will work directly with customers from signing of contract through payload integration and launch. Candidate must have an aptitude for customer interfacing.
Experience with CubeSats, SmallSats, or small space payloads is highly desirable. Any experience with prior mission management or mission integration experience is also a plus. Rocket Lab will consider candidates from an engineering background such as stress, fatigue, payloads, vibration, thermal or similar analysis role in lieu of mission management or launch experience.
- 5+ years of mission management experience and/or an engineering background (stress, fatigue, payloads, vibration, thermal or similar).
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or technical discipline – Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace degree preferred.
- Hardware integration or project management experience on either launch vehicles or spacecraft projects.
- Ability to travel to launch pads, customer sites, and overseas (e.g. Rocket Labs New Zealand facility/launch site).
- Solid interpersonal and organizational skills, able to assist with closure of sales / customer capture.
- Ability to understand technical constraints relative to payload launch including results from mission specific analysis.
- Solid presentation and technical writing skills.
- Experience with CubeSats, SmallSats, or other small space payloads.
- ITAR - Previous experience with ITAR & establishment of TAA's.
- Previous Mission Management or Mission Integration experience.
- Experience working with complex mechanical systems with your own hands.
- Ability to read mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Ability to perform electrical and mechanical testing.
- Previous space sector sales engineering experience including management of customer expectations.
- Active DoD Secret clearance preferred but not required.
- Management of multiple Rocket Lab customer missions, including technical, programmatic, and financial milestones.
- Oversees hands-on payload integration activities, including fit checks, dispenser and launch vehicle integration.
- Assists business development with proposal input, lead generation, and technical sales engineering reviews.
- Responsible for development and verification of Launch Vehicle to Spacecraft Interface Control Documentation (ICD).
- Ability to create and execute assembly integration instructions.
- In constant contact with customers to answer questions with technical staff as required.
- Represent the company at public events, including conferences, industry forums, outreach and recruiting events.
- Helps lead Mission Integrators in expanding their mission management skillset.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an equal opportunity employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.