About The Role
Founded in June 2006 as a center for advanced space systems, Rocket Lab’s goal is to remove the commercial barriers to space by providing frequent launch opportunities to low orbit Earth.
Rocket Lab is rapidly expanding to meet the global demand for our commercial launch service. The Huntington Beach facility is seeking passionate, highly-skilled individuals who are comfortable working in a dynamic, technically challenging environment where they will be given ownership of processes from start-to-finish. We believe that an empowered and motivated workforce has been the cornerstone of our success and will be essential to our long-term growth as we redefine how the world accesses space.
The ideal candidate will have an active DoD Secret clearance and aptitude for customer interfacing. As the mission manager you will work directly with customers from signing of contract through payload integration and launch. Experience with CubeSats, SmallSats, or small space payloads is highly desirable as well as prior mission management or mission integration experience. Will consider candidates from an engineering background such as stress, fatigue, payloads, vibration, thermal or similar analysis role in lieu of mission management or launch experience. The role will be based out of Rocket Lab USA HQ in Huntington Beach, CA but requires travel to customers and launch sites worldwide. Candidate must be comfortable with frequent travel.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for development and verification of Launch Vehicle to Spacecraft Interface Control Documentation (ICD).
- Performs hands-on payload integration activities, including fit checks, dispenser and launch vehicle integration.
- Management of multiple Rocket Lab customer missions, including technical, programmatic, and financial milestones.
- Assists business development with proposal input, lead generation, and technical sales engineering reviews.
- Ability to create and execute assembly integration instructions.
- Frequent contact with customers to answer questions with technical staff as required.
- Represent the company at public events, including conferences, industry forums, outreach and recruiting events.
- Helps lead Mission Integrators in expanding their mission management skillset.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or technical discipline (Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace degree preferred) + minimum 5 years of relevant experience.
- Previous launch vehicle or spacecraft project management experience.
- Solid interpersonal and organizational skills, able to assist with closure of sales / customer capture.
- Ability to understand technical constraints relative to payload launch including results from mission specific analysis.
- Excellent presentation and technical writing skills.
- Ability to travel to launch pads, customer sites, and overseas (e.g. Rocket Labs New Zealand facility/launch site).
- Active Secret Clearance.
- Previous launch vehicle or space hardware integration experience.
- ITAR - Previous experience with ITAR and establishment of TAA's.
- Previous Mission Management or Mission Integration experience.
- Experience working with complex mechanical systems with your own hands.
- Experience with CubeSats, SmallSats, or other small space payloads.
- Ability to read mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Ability to perform electrical and mechanical testing.
- Previous space sector sales engineering experience including management of customer expectations.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an equal opportunity employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
- Active DoD Secret clearance preferred.
- Interface Control Documentation (ICD) responsibility.
- CubeSats, SmallSats, or small space payloads experience preferred.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.