About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Life at Rocket Lab
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER – ASSEMBLY, INTEGRATION, AND TEST
Based out of Rocket Lab's Headquarters in Long Beach, CA the Manufacturing Engineer – Space Systems Assembly, Integration and Test will play a pivotal role in technology development and platform development for high performance missions in Defense and Intelligence Space. You will support the Director of Manufacturing Engineering and Production organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
• Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in design for manufacture, design for test, productivity, supplier capability assessments, quality control, etc.
• Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions as related to Space Systems products and Electron/Neutron Avionics.
• Design, develop, and implement Test Equipment/Operations for Space Craft Avionics and Assemblies.
• Develop production processes and ensure they are accurately and clearly documented, including testing procedures, health and safety requirements and supervisor sign-offs.
• Interface with the quality team to resolve manufacturing engineering quality responsibilities, and when required, lead problem containment and structured root cause & corrective action investigations
• Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume requirements including preparation of business cases
• Lead the continuous improvement process in your area using lean tools and techniques such as 5S
• Introduce automation where appropriate and ensure equipment data links directly to MRP and quality systems
• Develop and mentor less experienced engineers and technicians daily
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
• 4-year engineering degree (Preferably Electrical, or Aerospace)
• 2+ years’ of experience in a satellite design, development, manufacturing and test environment.
• Understanding of electromechanical assembly, tooling, test, and quality techniques.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
•5+ year's of experience in satellite design, development, manufacturing or test environment
•Experience performing root cause and corrective action projects and PFMEA / DFMEA of manufacturing processes and products A good theoretical and/or practical understanding of electronic systems
• Expertise with C, C++, Python, or Matlab
• Strong working knowledge of EEE piece parts, PCBs, and PCBAs
• An understanding of sensors, signal conditioning, and data acquisition electronics
• Familiar with spacecraft harness design and best practices
• Hands-on experience using electrical test equipment
• Experience working in a clean room
Experience working with ESD-sensitive equipment, hardware-in-the-loop testing or RF testing
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation package based on individual qualifications and experience, which may include cash or equity incentives. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at firstname.lastname@example.org.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.