About The Role
About Rocket lab
Rocket Lab is the global leader in dedicated small satellite launch. Launching from New Zealand, we design and build innovative technology to give small satellites a premium ride to orbit.
Small satellites play a crucial role in our day-to-day lives – they connect us, keep us safe, help us understand our planet and manage our impact on it, and they enable us to innovate and explore. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab.
Our relentlessly innovative team is behind Electron, the world’s only truly commercial small satellite launch vehicle in operation today. With multiple orbital launches under our belt and a record of 100% mission success, we’re opening access to space to improve life on Earth. We’ve built a world class team with a reputation for doing the impossible. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Every day, we pursue ideas that challenge, excite and demand more of us, and we make them real. Be a part of it.
Manufacturing Engineer Intern
You will support the implementation of a specific production improvement project which will improve the production rate and increase the capabilities of the composite manufacturing team at Rocket Lab. This includes the work on machinery, tooling and part design to create.
- Project Management – work with external companies and internal parties to complete an ongoing production improvement project
- Composite tool design
- Process development and design of required production tools and jigs
- Creation of work instructions for technicians that will work with the developed system
- Work through P-FMEA process
- Currently working towards a BS, MS or an advanced degree in a relevant engineering program with a composites background
- You must be self-managed and committed to working in a fast-paced environment
- Hands on experience through engineering project teams, lab research, or through a prior relevant internship or work experience
- Professional and positive communication skills
- Ability to work with external companies independently
- Ability to read, interpret and create mechanical drawings
- Ability to relocate and live in Auckland
- Experience in 5S, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, six sigma principles
- Experience with one or more of the following: Composites manufacturing principles, Process failure mode and effects analysis (PMFEA), Pneumatic/Hydraulic systems
- Hands on skills with composite manufacturing methods
- Familiarity and/or experience working with a 3D CAD package
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.