About The Role
Founded in June 2006 as a center for advanced space systems, Rocket Lab’s goal is to remove the commercial barriers to space by providing frequent launch opportunities to low orbit Earth.
Rocket Lab is rapidly expanding to meet the global demand for our commercial launch service. The Wallops Flight Facility (LC-2) is seeking passionate, highly-skilled individuals who are comfortable working in a dynamic, technically challenging environment where they will be given ownership of processes from start-to-finish. We believe that an empowered and motivated workforce has been the cornerstone of our success and will be essential to our long-term growth as we redefine how the world accesses space.
This position will provide permanent and transient staff, contractors and clients with agile, resilient and timely, world-class logistic support. This position will be responsible for developing logistics systems and support for Rocket Lab’s Integration Control Facility (ICF) and Launch Complex (LC-2) at Wallops Island Virginia. In this role you will be responsible for establishing the systems to handle the shipping, freight forwarding and management of inwards goods, ensuring that all supplies and components for Electron are in the right place at the right time.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience supporting launch pad logistics, experience setting up and maintaining storage management systems would be an advantage. We are seeking an individual who doesn’t settle for the “status quo”, someone who is always looking to make improvements to processes to ensure logistics delivers.
Key Responsibilities Include
Shipping / Freight Forwarding / Goods handling
- Ensure all shipments are compliant with local and international regulations (ITAR and other)
- Ensure all shipments make it from goods inwards to their final location in a timely manner
- Shipping managed by Rocket Lab is organized to ensure the best value option is chosen
- Relationships with freight forwarders and shipping lines are established and maintained
- Ensure all logistics related data is recorded and updated regularly
- Reporting requirements established with the business are set up and are made available at the right time to an agreed audience
- Analyse deviations to the agreed plans, identifying root causes and actioning accordingly
- Support Supply Chain in being a trusted partner to the business by maintaining appropriate channels of communication with key stakeholders
- Be a first escalation point for production teams and other internal stakeholders
- Ensure information is communicated in a timely manner to relevant people
- 5+ years previous relevant logistics experience
- Strong proven team leading experience
- An excellent understanding of MS Office software
- A can-do attitude, open to learning with good organizational skills and a hands-on approach
- Excellent communication skills and able to build working relationships
- Knowledge of freight forwarding and customs regulations (ITAR)
- Experience with international/domestic (US) shipping of hazardous goods
- Previous experience/knowledge with permitting
- An adaptable approach with high emotional intelligence
- Ability to work in a team and to build effective working relationships with external and internal customers
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of ERP systems
- Cost centre management experience
- Forklift license
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.