About The Role
About the Role
The role of the Launch Technician - Mechanical is key to enabling LC-1 in delivering launches at the highest rate of any launch site in the world. You will be working with a tight-knit team of technicians and engineers to build, test and maintain critical launch systems.
We are looking for a technically driven individual who wants to be part of changing the way the world accesses space, this opportunity gives the successful individual the chance to make a true contribution to the work Rocket Lab is undertaking.
You will be working on launch critical hardware so it is vital that you have exceptional hand skills and are experienced using a wide variety of tools. You will be challenged on a daily basis and your tasks will be varied.
- Fit out, assembly and installation of launch pad systems such as heaving engineering structures, mechanisms, fluid lines and associated components, electrical and control hardware and RF equipment
- Fabrication of jigs, fixtures and tooling
- Pressure and leak testing of fluid systems
- Precision cleaning of critical components
- Troubleshooting mechanical issues on launch pad systems
- Development of preventative maintenance and inspection procedures
- Supporting activities during launch pad and vehicle integration and checkouts
- Routine maintenance and upgrades of the launch systems
- Support launch campaigns
This position is based at Mahia peninsula and will involve working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Previous experience in the assembly of large structures and mechanisms
- Experience in machining and fabrication
- Experience with tubing
- Experience with fluid systems - pneumatic, cryogenic and/or hydraulics preferred
- An understanding of pressure, temperature and flow measurement instrumentation
- Ability to read, understand and follow detailed schematics, drawings and instructions
- Experience using heavy equipment such as overhead cranes and forklifts
- Strong communication skills with the ability to represent Rocket Lab within the local community and to build strong long term relationships
- Excellent problem solving skills and capable of using your own initiative
- A high level of attention to detail
- Capable of working under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Previous experience working at a rocket launch facility and supporting launch campaigns
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.