About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Ground Systems Engineer II
Based out of Rocket Lab's Launch Complex 2 (LC-2) in Wallops Island, VA, the Ground Systems Engineer II, is responsible for the design, build, testing and commissioning of mechanical launch pad and test sites for our Electron, Neutron and Space Systems including their fluid systems, supporting structures and mechanisms. You will support the Director of Test and Launch Operations and Ground Systems team, supporting the Electron program, Neutron development and test at Wallops Island.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- With minimal supervision, design, draft, and analyze launch range systems including but not limited to:
- Vehicle Support equipment
- Component selection: Mechanisms, valving. piping, filtration, flow, pressure and temperature measurement, system feedback etc.
- Gas systems
- CAD design and layout
- Design for high vibration, harsh, and hazardous environments
- Launch vehicle umbilical and interfaces
- System sizing and analysis by hand calculation and numerical methods
- Develop and maintain BOMs
- Interact with vendors, suppliers, and internal production teams to optimize designs for manufacturability and/or confirm components are fit for purpose
- Produce risk assessments, system hazard analyses and FMEA’s
- Perform failure investigations and root cause analysis
- Produce documentation including operator manuals, maintenance procedures, test procedures, and work instructions
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 3+ years’ industry experience
- Hands-on experience with fluid equipment or testing apparatus
- Ability to read, understand, and produce P&IDs
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Experience with launch pad systems OR oil and gas, process, mining, or other similar industry. This role is not limited to those with prior launch system experience.
- Experience with NX, Teamcenter, Draftsight would be an asset
- Experience with Structural design and analysis.
- Experience with design of fluid systems to PEPCR, ASME, ASTM and/or NASA Ground system standards would be an asset
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.