About The Role
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Global Director of Quality
The Global Director of Quality is responsible for managing and coordinating all quality activities at Rocket Lab across the full product life cycle. It is expected they will transform high level company goals into a department strategy and execute through an annual operating plan. The position is expected to exercise sound technical judgement and data gathered from internal monitoring to implement suitable processes that enable capability for the company to reach growth and efficiency targets.
Day-to-day, the role works closely with management in the design, production, supply chain and mission teams to ensure that systems and processes across the organization consider quality requirements to match the strategy. As a leader the role is responsible for multiple teams covering; quality engineering, manufacturing quality, supplier quality and mission assurance.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Develop and/or maintain key relationships with:
- The Executive, to ensure the quality management system and process being implemented is aligned with the immediate and long-term strategic business requirements.
- The Finance Director and finance management team to ensure department financial activities are in-line with corporate objectives, policies and standards.
- The Supply Chain Director, to ensure supplier quality requirements are synchronized with the immediate and long-term supply chain demand.
- Manufacturing directors to ensure implementation of the quality system is aligned with short and long-term production requirements.
- Engineering leadership to ensure that there are systems in place to consider quality early in the product life-cycle.
- Mission Delivery leadership, to ensure the final stages of service delivery are consistent with required quality standards.
- Ownership / accountability to develop, implement and monitor adherence of quality management system.
- Develop departmental strategy and vision to ensure adherence with customer expectations.
- Monitor activities to ensure compliance with core quality measures.
- Gather, analyze and manage quality related data.
- Coordinate, help and perform quality education globally.
- Be a role model on living the company values and ensure their presence in everything we do.
- Provide vision, leadership, and project coordination to the Quality Department as well as the larger business.
- Understand knowledge gaps within each team to develop training target.
- Focus on enabling all Rocket Lab employees to make good decisions.
- Increase cross-functional insight and understanding to encourage collaboration to solve the company’s toughest problems.
- Build a data-driven culture, incentivizing and rewarding honesty & transparency to fully understand challenges.
- Drive a consistent, resource-efficient approach to product validation across all areas of the business.
- Enhance leadership visibility to company risks and steer priorities to eliminate highest-risk failure modes.
- Workload and resource plan to ensure all high-level requirements can be delivered within required time frames.
- Recruitment, develop and retain the global Quality team including carrying out regular performance reviews with team members.
- Provide opportunities for ongoing training to direct reports to maintain personal development objectives.
- Manage, mentor, and support the staff within the department to be motivated, effective and efficient in their roles, and provide opportunities for growth and development.
- Ensure direct reports understand their role and responsibilities and receive timely feedback on their performance, both formal and informal.
- Determine financial needs of the department and submit an annual budget proposal that is consistent with strategic direction, division needs, and stakeholder expectations.
- Manage the performance of department operations including setting goals, establishing metrics, and continually working toward process improvement and cost avoidance.
- Ensure all company financial policies and procedures are followed.
- Build processes & systems that improve cost visibility and accuracy.
- Deploy sustainable reporting mechanisms that allow for real-time visibility of results without ongoing administrative burden.
- Develop reports that are recognized as the source of truth in order to steer other departments.
Safety and Well-being
- Drive universal understanding of the connections between safety and quality.
- Ensure all staff/colleagues maintain adequate safety-standards via a deep comprehension of safety culture.
- Reports all incidents/accidents, including near misses in a timely fashion.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 10+ years’ quality experience in high-complexity manufacturing environments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Proven leadership experience with the ability to manage and motivate a team.
- Experience working in global teams across multiple locations and time zones and understanding of cultural differences.
- Proven experience working in a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
- Ability to prioritize in line with company goals and objectives and motivate the team to follow.
- Sound analytical skills – able to see the big picture, make connections and appropriate decisions.
- The ability to develop and maintain relationships with a broad range of people of varying backgrounds, and to be adept at engaging with those people in a perceptive and appropriate manner.
Take on new opportunities and tough challenges with purpose, urgency and discipline, by:
- Readily taking ownership and action on challenges, developing plans appropriate to the situation and being accountable for the results.
- Identifying and seizing new opportunities and motivating the team to follow along.
- Displaying a can-do attitude in good and bad times, and celebrating success.
- Stepping up to manage tough situations and encouraging colleagues to do the same.
Shape the agenda, creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful, by:
- Coming up with useful ideas that are new, better, or unique.
- Challenging the status quo.
- Introducing new ways of looking at problems.
- Generating and adopting new and creative ideas,and putting them into practice.
- Encouraging diverse thinking to promote and nurture innovation.
Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward, by:
- Making sound risk-based decisions, even in the absence of complete information.
- Relying on an appropriate mix of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgement to make valid and reliable decisions.
- Considering all relevant factors and using appropriate decision-making criteria and principles, taking calculated risks where required.
- Recognizing when a quick 80% solution will suffice, and when it will not.
- Analyzing information to make effective decisions in order to improve performance.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status