About The Role
WHY ROCKET LAB?
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Based at Rocket Lab's new headquarters in Long Beach, California the General Counsel will report to the Chief Financial Officer. The General Counsel will provide direct legal counsel, corporate development, and support to the CEO, CFO, the board of directors and senior leaders across Rocket Lab. This position leads the corporate legal strategy, regulatory and risk compliance programs, and has oversight of all legal and regulatory affairs for the organization. The role will be heavily involved in the development of organizational strategy as well as global transactions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direct legal guidance to the senior leadership team and Board of Directors on all matters that affect the company
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements, including but not limited to SEC reporting, export controls, government contracting, FCPA, and FAA, FCC and NOAA licensing
- Serves as the subject matter expert and resource across the company on corporate governance policies and procedures and related priorities
- Develops and implements strategic and operational risk management policies and procedures
- Creates, negotiates, reviews and executes agreements
- Manages material litigation and other disputes
- Supports strategic partnerships and mergers and acquisition activities
- Develops and implements intellectual property protection strategies
- Provides executive leadership, mentoring, and guidance to broader corporate legal team
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Degree from an ABA-approved law school, and an active member in good standing of the state bar of California
- Minimum fifteen (15) years securities/corporate law experience at a major law firm and/or as an in-house Legal Counsel
- Successful track record managing attorneys and outside counsel
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the aerospace or other equally technical and manufacturing intensive industry
- Experience drafting Securities Act and Securities Exchange Act filings
- A minimum of 5 years managing all aspects of US public company governance and regulatory activities
- Broad legal knowledge of mergers and acquisitions, commercial transactions, government contracts, regulatory compliance, litigation, and intellectual property
- Appreciation of how legal issues affect organizations
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives and negotiate effectively
- Strong leadership, communication and client management skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work independently and with cross-functional clients
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Security clearance or ability to obtain one
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.