About The Role
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab.
Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented. While other companies talk about it, we do it!
The Photon Program
Photon is a first-of-its-kind platform in the small satellite industry: a versatile satellite bus that is also an integral part of the launch vehicle. Engineers within the Photon team have a unique opportunity to help shape this space system and, given the high launch cadence of Electron, have unparalleled opportunities for end-to-end hardware development and on-orbit operations.
Rocket Lab is seeking exceptional engineers to work on this recently-announced Photon program.The successful candidate will have a strong set of technical skills, will have experience in related projects, & will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Flight Software Engineer
The Flight Software Engineer will participate in all aspects of software design & development, from requirements definition through coding and testing. The Photon development team has frequent opportunities to test and operate their software on orbit.
Rocket Lab is seeking a Flight Software Engineer to assist in the development of flight software and ground-based operations software for its Photon vehicle.
Required Education & Experience
- An engineering degree in computer science, electrical engineering, computer engineering, or equivalent qualification
- 4+ years of demonstrated applicable experience in software development
- Document management & systems engineering experience
- Experience working with subcontractors and vendors
- Software development in Linux and embedded C environments
- Demonstrated success working in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities
- Experience developing software for autonomous vehicles operating in harsh environments, such as satellites, UAVs, or autonomous underwater vehicles.
- Collaborate with systems engineers and embedded systems engineers in developing requirements and managing interfaces with hardware and software within the vehicle
- Develop application software for flight and ground systems
- Develop documentation for operation and interface with software products
- Develop and participate in test campaigns ranging from unit-level to automated testing at the subsystem and system-level.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.