About The Role
"Make everything you do a work of art." - Peter Beck
Rocket Lab is redefining how we access space by providing frequent and reliable launch to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) - we’re opening access to space to improve life on Earth.
Rocket Lab is the global market leader in dedicated small satellite launch, with a strong leadership team, solid financial backing and a full launch manifest. To meet the growing demand of dedicated small satellite launch, Rocket Lab is assembling a world-class team.
Rocket Lab is its people. We are seeking passionate, highly-skilled individuals who are comfortable working in a dynamic, technically challenging environment where they will be given ownership of processes from start-to-finish.
The Photon Program
Rocket Lab is seeking exceptional engineers to work on its recently-announced Photon program. Photon is a first-of-its-kind platform in the small satellite industry: a versatile satellite bus that is also an integral part of the launch vehicle. Engineers within the Photon team have a unique opportunity to help shape this space system and, given the high launch cadence of Electron, have unparalleled opportunities for end-to-end hardware development and on-orbit operations. The successful candidate will have a strong set of technical skills, will have experience in related projects, and will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Firmware Engineer - FPGA
Rocket Lab is seeking an Firmware Engineer - FPGA to assist in the development of avionics for its Photon vehicle. This person will work collaboratively with the hardware and software design engineers and participate in all aspects of FPGA firmware design, from requirements definition through design, implementation, and testing. The Photon development team has frequent opportunities to test and operate their systems on orbit.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with systems engineers and embedded systems engineers in developing requirements and managing interfaces with other vehicle components
- Develop FPGA firmware for Xilinx FPGA and SoC devices
- Develop documentation for FPGA operation and interfacing with other SW and FPGA systems
- Develop and participate in test campaigns ranging from unit-level to automated testing at the subsystem and system-level.
- Document management & systems engineering experience
- Experience working with subcontractors and vendors
- Demonstrated success working in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities
- An engineering degree in electrical, computer, software or equivalent qualification
- 2+ years of demonstrated applicable experience in FPGA firmware development
- Experience with FPGAs and embedded systems in a radiation environment, including SEU/SEL impact and mitigation within spacecraft avionics
- Embedded software development for ARM processors and MCUs over the full stack including Linux
- PCB design including schematic capture and layout in Altium Designer
- Proficiency with JIRA
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.