About The Role
Rocket Lab is rapidly expanding to fulfill the global demand for our commercial launch vehicle. The R&D engineering team in Huntington Beach California is looking for passionate and creative individuals to join them as they solve complex challenges by way of technical knowledge and ingenuity.
Founded in June 2006 as a center for advanced space systems, Rocket Lab’s goal is to remove the commercial barriers to space by providing frequent launch opportunities to low orbit Earth. We believe that an empowered and motivated workforce has been the cornerstone of our success and will be essential to our long-term growth as we redefine how the world accesses space.
Electrical Power Systems Engineer
Rocket Lab is seeking an experienced space vehicle power systems engineer to design and implement power control and distribution avionics for space vehicles. As an electrical power systems engineer, you will participate in the design, development, and implementation of battery charging, power control, and distribution on Rocket Lab’s launch vehicle.
Successful candidate will be comfortable with all aspects of design, assembly, integration and testing
Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop & implement the power control system for a space vehicle.
- Develop methods for and participate in hardware testing.
- Develop schematics and layouts, working with team members and external vendors.
- Develop, in collaboration with SW & embedded systems teams, software and firmware.
- Perform trade studies on architecture and implementation options.
- Collaborate with systems engineers in developing requirements and managing interfaces with other vehicle elements.
- FPGA design experience.
- Solar panels and battery charging experience.
- Schematic & layout experience (Altium Designer, preferred).
- Document management & systems engineering exposure.
- Lab testing of both development and production-level PCB’s.
- Experience working with subcontractors and vendors.
- Ability to work independently and successfully manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to take a concept from requirements through design, build, test, production, and operations.
- Four-year degree in electrical engineering, or equivalent years of experience.
- 4-8 years’ of experience in the development of power control and other embedded systems.
- Space-based electronics and radiation tolerance experience.
- Altium Designer experience.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
- FPGA design
- PCB and electronic schematic & layout design
- Power control and embedded systems development
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.