About The Role
As a design engineer at Rocket Lab, you are creating the world's first mass-produced orbital launch vehicle. Every idea you have, every detail you catch that will make this vehicle safer, more efficient and easier to produce will contribute to the success of this adventure.
- Design new mechanical parts to meet the requirements of the Avionics team
- Complete assembly drawings ready for production use on the assembly line
- Model mechanical updates to current components in CAD package
- Standardize design elements throughout all our avionics components
- Responsible for implementing ongoing mechanical design improvements to avionics parts and assemblies and maintaining associated drawings and manufacturing info
- Work towards being the go-to-person for all avionics related mechanical design work going forward
- Lead the mechanical design on small R&D projects to improve performance, increase reliability, and speed up production
- Responsible for designing test fixtures and tooling as required
- A mechanical engineering degree or equivalent qualification
- 3+ year's design experience within a multiuser CAD environment. A thorough understanding of manufacture techniques, including 3D printing
- Experience using Solidworks CAD and PDM packages (or comparable industry standard packages)
- Experience in structuring and working with large assemblies
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes, including conventional machining and sheet metal design
- Experience with mechanical systems in a relevant field (e.g. aerospace, automotive, marine)
- In-depth understanding of electrical systems not required, but may be helpful
- Proactive, enthusiastic, creative and open to learning
- Capable of working as part of a team as well as autonomously
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Proven communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships
- Heavy emphasis on achievement and details - getting things done efficiently, effectively and to the highest quality standards
- The ability to take a flexible approach and to adapt to change quickly
- Have tenacity, a can-do attitude and the ability to think quickly and make accurate judgements.
- Experience in the aeronautic and aerospace industries.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.