About The Role
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
COST ACCOUNTING MANAGER
Based at Rocket Lab’s new headquarters in Long Beach, California the Cost Accounting Manager will be responsible for the cost accounting function for the enterprise, costing projects, margin analysis and tracing costs back to underlying activities. This position requires the ability to develop and maintain accurate costing and valuation for inventory.
The Cost Accounting Manager will report to the Assistant Controller and work closely with the accounting team and partner with various team members throughout the organization.
The ideal candidate has prior experience migrating an organization costing process from MS Excel to an ERP system, has advanced MS Excel skills, and experience developing and leading a cost accounting team. Preferably within an aerospace & defense, automotive, or similar manufacturing organization.
- Establish cost accounting policies and procedures to arrive at accurate standards for inventory valuation.
- Develop and maintain bills of material and assign labor and overhead cost to finished product.
- Analyze trends in cost variances, production volumes, and material usage and implement timely adjustments. Troubleshoot and research unexplained inventory transactions.
- Investigate cycle counting variances and resolve issues.
- Review and close work orders based on aging.
- Focus on improvement including; all facets of cost accounting, inventory control, work order and production order review, variance analysis, gross margin analysis, forecasting & system improvement.
- Assist in the accounting month-end process by preparing accrual journal entries, raw material cost allocations, reclassifying operating expenses and distributing manufacturing variances by-product and categories.
- Collaborates with other department managers in reporting and reviewing various trends and key performance indicators.
- Generate and distribute weekly/monthly/quarterly spend, inventory, and production reports as needed.
- Participate in annual operating plan preparation and strategic plan preparation as required, primarily in the development of manufacturing costs and the calculation of standard margin and gross profit.
- Initiate process improvement projects to update transactional, financial, and reporting processes.
- Provide support with internal and external audit requests.
- Strong skills in variance analysis, attention to detail, organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
- Strong analytical & independent problem-solving skills to evaluate financial results.
- Ensuring compliance with GAAP and/or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal & written communication skills & the ability to explain complex information to others.
- Strong experience with manufacturing ERP system
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced Excel skills a must.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the general ledger and cost accounting area.
PREFERRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment, preferably within the aerospace and defense industry.
- ERP experience using Infor LN, Oracle, JDE, SAP or similar ERP system
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status