About The Role
WHY ROCKET LAB?
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Based at Rocket Lab's new headquarters in Long Beach, California the Buyer is responsible for ensuring Electron launch vehicle components required by the business are supplied at the right time, to the right place and at the best possible price. Our buying team plays a key role in moving our business from a R&D company to a manufacturing business and buyers are expected to identify opportunities for improvement and to support the business on this important and exciting journey.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Management of purchase requisition system for non-inventory items, including conversion to purchase order.
- Liaise with material planners and engineering department to ensure production components are ordered, manufactured and delivered to specification and on time.
- Identify and execute on cost reduction opportunities.
- Ensure supplier capacity is correctly assessed and communicated.
- Process requests for new suppliers to be set up in accounts payable (A/P) system.
- Negotiate terms with suppliers to meet quality, cost and delivery requirements.
- Execute supplier relationship management process set by the Procurement Manager.
- Understand supplier capabilities and contribute to category management and market assessment projects.
- Support the business in execution of risk mitigation strategy
- Support Supply Chain in being a trusted partner to the business by maintaining appropriate channels of communication with key stakeholders.
- Ensure information is communicated in a timely manner.
Reporting and Data Integrity
- Maintain buying master data relating to price, lead-time and ordering parameters.
- Assuring adherence of reporting requirements established by the business.
- Ability to identify improvement opportunities in the process and develop solutions.
Health and Safety
- Ensure health and safety policies and standard operating procedures are followed.
- Correct PPE is worn in designated areas.
- Near misses and incidents are reported promptly.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a purchasing / buying position, ideally in a manufacturing environment.
- A proactive and can-do attitude with the ability to keep calm in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team and to build effective working relationships with external and internal customers.
- Strong MS Office skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, supply chain, or related major.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
- Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS), Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP), or similar supply chain professional certification.
- ERP experience using Infor LN, Oracle, JDE, SAP or similar ERP system.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.