About The Role
Why Rocket Lab
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Space Systems Division
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution from a launch company to an end-to-end mission provider that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future, enabling innovative small spacecraft missions in low Earth orbit and beyond. The team is already developing a NASA mission to the Moon in 2021 and advancing plans for a private mission to explore Venus. Rocket Lab recently acquired Sinclair Interplanetary, a leading provider of high-quality satellite components. The acquisition expands Rocket Lab’s commitment to vertically integrate the Photon family of configurable small spacecraft and enable end-to-end small spacecraft missions.
Lead, Business Development & Strategy, Space System
Based at Rocket Lab's new headquarters in Long Beach, California the Business Development & Strategy Lead for Space Systems will support development and execution of the division’s sales strategy. The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of the satellite industry and offer insights to help shape Space Systems divisions roadmap, and product and service offerings to the U.S. National Security, U.S. Civil Space, and Global Commercial Space industry.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support Rocket Lab’s s Photon small spacecraft solutioning including product and business development.
- Generate and execute sales of strategically aligned satellite systems.
- Implement sales plans, systems, policies, initiatives, and procedures.
- Collaborate with the Communications & Marketing team in creating Photon satellite collateral, marketing material, and strategic communications.
- Remain up-to-date on the latest space systems competitive landscape and market, lead forecasting of satellite sales, determine pricing, and provide support for business development, strategy, and the space systems product and services roadmap.
- Manage the sales pipeline and close deals. Develop and present bid/no-bid strategies, and manage proposal planning, preparation, and submission.
- Advise on, and help implement, technology licensing deals and strategic acquisitions for new, strategically-aligned space systems elements.
- Develop strong relationships across all levels of the business to ensure alignment, efficiency, and collaboration, including coordinating with Sinclair Interplanetary by Rocket Lab.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Engineering and Production teams to ensure adequate manufacturing and stocking plans for low lead-time delivery of satellites and effective handoff for project execution.
- Represent Rocket Lab Space Systems Satellite group at industry conferences and customer meetings.
Required Experience and Education
- 4-year degree in business, engineering, or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years’ of professional experience in aerospace with demonstrated contributions towards organization success focused on satellites.
- Strong knowledge and applied experiences in engineering and manufacturing of space systems.
- Highly effective and professional verbal and written communication skills with team and internal/external customers.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering or related engineering field (electrical, mechanical, computer science, etc.).
- Master’s degree in business administration.
- Sales management experience and familiarity with diverse business functions such as sales, marketing, public relations, finance, and operations.
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance management principles.
- Extensive awareness of current/ongoing commercial and government satellite programs.
- Experience leading, managing and growing geographically disperse teams on fast-paced projects.
- Readily takes ownership and action on challenges and steps up to manage tough situations while encouraging colleagues and direct reports to do the same.
- Practiced with the use of customer relationship management software.
- Financial modeling and financial forecasts experience.
- Proposal development, writing, and best practice capture processes.
- Work out of Rocket Lab Headquarters in Long Beach, California.
- Frequent domestic and international travel required, as needed in support of business development efforts, including on short notice.
- Available outside of normal business hours and/or weekends, as needed.
- Security clearance or ability and willingness to obtain one.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.