Avionics Quality Inspector
Job Ref: 4747794003 | Type: Full-time
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
AVIONICS QUALITY INSPECTOR
Based out of Rocket Lab's Headquarters in Long Beach, CA the Avionics Quality Inspector is responsible for carrying out inspections using, but not limited to, prescribed inspection criteria. A high level of attention to detail to detect anything related to the product that does not meet engineering/production standards. Being familiar with industry standards for Soldering and Harnessing is required. In addition to inspecting, an ability to steer and guide decisions to bring the quality process to the highest standard possible is required, this includes problem solving capability and clear communication skills.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Perform complex electronic and electrical inspections for purchased parts, PCBAs, wire harnesses, electro-mechanical, electrical, electronic components, and assemblies.
- Perform work in process quality inspections and final sign-off inspections to release product for flight.
- Follow and create detailed work instructions for receiving inspection for PCBA’s, Harnessing, Electro-mechanical components/assemblies, and test reports.
- Highlight all concerns directly back to the engineering, quality and production team by thoroughly documenting issues and non-conformances in accordance with Rocket Lab systems and procedures in our internal quality monitoring systems (Issue tracking system) and Manufacturing execution system (MES) and/or ERP as applicable.
- Support to prepare the production area for external audits and perform internal audit, including tracking actions following the corrective action requests.
- Follow up on calibration tracking and compliance to tool calibration system.
- Help develop the quality processes within the production area to ensure compliance.
- Embody a Built in Quality philosophy, consistently detecting non-conformances (Don’t accept a Defect – Don’t Pass a Defect) and preventing escapes to downstream customers.
- Coordinate with Production personnel to prioritize workload and enable the team to meet key delivery milestones.
Non-Conforming Product Control
- Participate in the Material Review Board (MRB) process, ensuring all parts are properly identified, and work with engineers to disposition and process hardware.
- Properly execute the necessary systems transactions, whether is scrap, return to vendor or return to stores.
- Provide detailed feedback for electronics production improvements to ensure high quality standards are maintained.
- Collaborate with engineering and management to improve work instructions and identify critical inspection points in the process.
- Be an active member of the local 5S work center, suggesting improvements and actively taking on jobs that benefit the department.
- Identify opportunities of efficiency gains and waste reduction within the production and quality processes.
- Assist in the identification of failure modes, through participation in PFMEAs and contribute ideas to eliminate the potential for future failures and/or participate to drive actions to completion.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of experience working in quality assurance role in an electronics manufacturing environment.
- Previous IPC-A-610 Certification.
- Experience with IPC/WHMA-A-620C and/or AC 43.13
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with IPC J-STD-001 with space addendum preferred
- A very high level of attention to detail and the ability to produce work to an exceptional standard of accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as autonomously.
- Able to read, understand and follow manufacturing instructions and drawings.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.