About The Role
"Make everything you do a work of art." - Peter Beck
Rocket Lab is its people. At Rocket Lab you will work alongside passionate, highly-skilled individuals who all share a common goal of doing exceptional work. You will be asked to take ownership of your work from start-to-finish and adapt quickly in an ever evolving, and technically challenging environment.
Avionics Manufacturing Technician, Senior
Senior Avionics Manufacturing Technicians build and test components and electrical assemblies of the Rutherford rocket engine - an electric propellant pump system. Avionics technicians are responsible for a broad range of responsibilities including; soldering, wire harnessing, PCB assembly, functional testing, operating thermal chambers, creative ideas, and offer continues improvement recommendations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ownership of completion pf the weekly plan for the assigned product, problem solving daily issues and if they cannot be solved, escalating to the leading hand or supervisor.
- Have a good level of eyesight and be able to inspect wiring assemblies to the NASA workmanship standard
- Active team player, fostering a positive and fun working environment.
- Shift times as set out in the employment contract. Punctual attendance at the start of shift every day is mandatory.
- Manufacture of avionics components. Including the following processes;
- PCB Assembly
- Small electrical assemblies with harnessing and soldering
- Have a sound understanding of standard industry ESD policy
- Have a good level of eyesight and be able to inspect PCB's and wiring assemblies to the NASA workmanship standard or J-STD-001.
- Be able to manufacture components to the NASA workmanship standard, including soldering and wire harnessing
- Maintain organized WIP and materials
- Author new or revised assembly work procedures and documentation as required
- Ensure all modifications, deviations and updates are accurately tracked in Rocket Lab systems
- Follow department policy for As-built accuracy, Non-conformance and quality process.
- Follow the documented process, but be prepared to highlight anything that does not seem right (in that process)
- Follow and lead local policy around cell-phone usage, productivity expectations and attendance.
- Always looking for improvements. Raise these to your Leading Hand or Supervisor
- Think creatively; question the status quo while actively and diligently executing as per the instructions
- Be an active leader of the local 5S work center, suggesting improvements and actively taking on jobs that benefit the department
- Train and mentor more junior technicians in technical skills using training packages. Support Supervisor in signing of skills in the skills matrix for the department.
- Always highlight any abnormality - whether produced by yourself or someone else
- Honesty and accountability are mandatory requirements
- Authorize release of flight hardware from area for hardware you are certified as an expert in
- Authorize new/changed work instructions for hardware you are certified as an expert in
- Carry out detailed inspection’s on product as defined by the Work Instructions and be able to identify non-conformance beyond the specified scope of inspection for the components you have significant experience in.
Required Skills & Experience
- Demonstrate 10+ years of relevant industry experience
- A high work rate and be able to work overtime and long hours if needed
- A very high level of attention to detail and the ability to produce work to an exceptional standard of accuracy
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as autonomously
- Able to read, understand and follow manufacturing instructions and drawings
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.