About The Role
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Photon Space Systems Satellite Program
Rocket Lab is seeking exceptional engineers for the Photon satellite development team. Photon is a first-of-its-kind platform in the small satellite industry: a versatile satellite bus that is also an integral part of every Electron launch vehicle. Engineers on the development team will have a unique opportunity to help shape this space system and, given Electrons frequent launch cadence, will have an unparalleled opportunity to gain complete end-to-end hardware development and on-orbit operations experience across a broad range of missions and applications including Science & Research, Low-Earth Orbit (LEO) and interplanetary.
Senior Avionics Hardware Electrical Engineer
Located at Rocket Lab headquarters in Long Beach, California the Senior Hardware Electrical Engineer will participate in the development and test of avionics hardware for the Photon spacecraft. You will work collaboratively with engineers of various disciplines and participate in all aspects of electrical hardware development, from requirements definition through design, prototyping, fabrication, testing, and production. As an engineer on the Photon development team you will have frequent opportunities to test and operate your systems on-orbit.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop PCBA requirements in collaboration with other engineering disciplines.
- Schematic capture and PCB layout using Altium Designer.
- Circuit analysis including power, tolerance, and reliability related.
- PCBA design verification testing and system integration testing.
- Production manufacturing support as needed.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
- 7+ years of experience in electrical hardware design including schematic capture and PCB layout.
- Design proficiency with processors, FPGAs, switch mode power supplies, high speed data interfaces, precision analog instrumentation.
- Proficiency with Altium Designer for schematic capture and layout of complex PCBs.
- Proficiency performing circuit analyses in SPICE and Excel.
- Proficiency with basic electronic lab equipment such as power supplies, oscilloscopes, DMMs, signal generators, soldering iron, etc.
- Demonstrated success working in a dynamic environment and ability to manage competing priorities.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
- Experience designing for space environments including radiation SEE/TID impacts and mitigation.
- Experience designing for high reliability aerospace applications.
- Experience designing rigid-flex PCBs and electro-mechanical design familiarity in general.
- FPGA design experience.
- Embedded software development for ARM core processors.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status