About The Role
"Make everything you do a work of art." - Peter Beck
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab.
Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented. While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Senior Automation & Controls Engineer
The Senior Automation & Controls Engineer at Rocket Lab in Huntington Beach, CA is an integral part of a cross disciplinary team of manufacturing engineers. As a test engineer you will develop specialized equipment for controlling, monitoring and testing rocket engine and avionics subsystems and assemblies. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, has excellent attention to detail, strong people skills, and enjoys a fast-paced / dynamic work environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
Production and Test Automation
- Develop production procedures and processes and ensure they are accurately and clearly documented to allow repeatable and reliable manufacturing
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Deploy automated processes and equipment into production.
- Design, validate, and implement hardware/software tests to test and verify product.
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and fluid plumbing.
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics.
- Design graphic intuitive and easy to use user interfaces to be used on the production line.
- Develop LabVIEW applications for user interface displays and real-time systems.
- Build software architectures that allows robust data acquisition, storage, and data processing to streamline production test systems
- Architect, write, and debug PLC code with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable for manufacturing applications.
- Contribute and steer design reviews, acting as an expert in design for manufacture and test.
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions
- Ability to create and deliver accurate and concise presentations for design, manufacturing, testing, and quality
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision in a timely manner
- Adaptable and comfortable in an exciting, dynamic, and evolving environment
- Hands-on with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Detail oriented; willing to take on new challenges and able to work independently
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience developing LabVIEW applications interfacing a variety of sensors and electronic inputs and outputs. Pressure, temperature, flow, force, voltage, current, position, magnetic fields, etc.
- Proficient in LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA, LabVIEW RT, Python, R, SQL, and C/C++.
- Knowledge of process control and instrumentations, data acquisition systems, sensors, motors and actuators.
- Ability to create accurate schematics for manufacture, installation, testing and troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with programming benchtop lab equipment such as DC power supplies, Source meters, oscilloscopes etc.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills for testing analog and digital circuits.
- Working knowledge of embedded protocols and PCB/Electronic assembly testing.
- HMI and SCADA programming experience.
Up to 15-20% domestic and/or international travel required.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.