About The Role
Founded in June 2006 as a center for advanced space systems, Rocket Lab’s goal is to remove the commercial barriers to space. In support of this, Rocket Lab is developing the Electron orbital launch vehicle. Electron is a small launch vehicle capable of lifting a 150 kg payload to a 500 km sun-synchronous orbit.
Rocket Lab is rapidly scaling in size to meet the high demand from customers. The company is expanding globally and is currently growing the team based at Rocket Lab’s Los Angeles Headquarters. Rocket Lab believes in giving highly-skilled engineers ownership of complex aerospace programs from start to finish, creating a workforce of empowered and motivated individuals utilizing cutting-edge technologies to redefining how the world accesses space.
About the Role
Manufacturing parts and assemblies to the specification, quality and schedule is key in the aerospace business. We are looking for thinkers and doers to work in a very dynamic, fast pace environment, you will be challenged daily and to succeed you will need to be able to learn quickly and utilize your own initiative while working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 3+ years of industry experience in additive manufacturing, university included
- Must be extraordinarily process driven with focus on lean manufacturing
- Thorough knowledge of metal powder bed additive machine components and required maintenance thereof
- Experience establishing processes for powder handling and sieving, machine operation, machine maintenance, post-print inspections, and NDE
- Thorough understanding of powder metallurgy and mechanical properties of printed parts
- Knowledge of all proper personal protective equipment and safety precautions needed for powder handling
- Experience authoring visual work instructions and/or standard operating procedures
- Excellent understanding of engineering fundamentals pertaining to the aerospace industry
- The ability to read GD&T symbols and interpret engineering drawings
- Equally comfortable in the workshop and at a desk
- Excellent MS Office skills and communication
- Proactive, enthusiastic, self-motivated and open to learning
- Confident working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Have a can do attitude with the ability to organize a challenging schedule
- M.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Experience developing key performance indicators for production
- Experience maintaining supplier relationships and providing quality feedback to them
- Ability to perform data analysis using SQL and Tableau
- Proficient in Magics, Solidworks and MS office
Additionally, you must be able to travel to the New Zealand facility for training and/or production support as necessary. Frequency of such trips are dependent on specific role but generally do not exceed five per year and three weeks at a time. The role will otherwise be based in Huntington Beach, Los Angeles.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.