About The Role
We are Rocket Lab and we’re opening access to space to improve life on Earth.
We’re an orbital launch provider, delivering rapid and repeatable access to orbit for small satellites. Our team designs, builds and launches the Electron rocket – the most advanced small launch vehicle, featuring carbon composite structures and 3D printed engines.
We are headquartered in Huntington Beach, California, with operations and a launch pad in New Zealand. We are also developing a second launch pad in the USA.
We are driven to broaden the horizons of what’s already possible in space and are inspired by the possibilities not yet imagined. Rocket Lab’s team is filled with the most driven, talented and passionate people you’ll ever work with. Our team culture is built on a foundation of collaboration, inclusion and innovation. Join the ride!
About the role
We are seeking an inspirational leader with exceptional technical capabilities to be our VP of Engineering. You will drive the continued success of Rocket Lab’s Electron Orbital Launch Vehicle program and have the opportunity to shape Rocket Lab’s engineering teams as we move in to the next exciting stage of the company’s growth – rapid production and launch of Electron vehicles at unprecedented frequency.
This role is a key position within Rocket Lab’s management team and will see you work closely with the VP of Global Operations and as VP of Engineering you will provide leadership across interdisciplinary teams working on complex and rapidly evolving engineering projects. You will be leading, mentoring and developing talented teams to ensure they meet key milestones, often in short and challenging time-frames whilst managing resources to guarantee they are efficient and effectively utilised.
- Work closely with relevant team leads to ensure the smooth operation and complete delivery of complex engineering projects
- Drive collaboration and cohesion across different teams throughout the business
- Evaluate the risk and impact of vehicle design modifications and provide recommendations and guidance to engineering teams
- Carry out top level technical analysis
- Effectively communicate design and engineering decisions and requirements across the organization
- Ensure projects are delivered on time and on budget
- Lead, inspire and support team members to reach their potential and deliver on our mission to open access to space to improve life on Earth
- Bachelor of Engineering or other relevant qualification
- 15+ Years Aerospace / Space engineering experience
- Proven experience leading teams working on complex engineering problems Strong understanding engineering testing principles
- Excellent understanding of mechanical engineering design
- Experience with FE modelling
- Understanding of systems engineering concepts including full development cycle from requirements through to operation and maintenance
- Strong leadership skills
- The ability to lead and manage staff within a matrix management environment
- Excellent communication skills, including written and oral
- Sounds judgement, paired with the ability to seek guidance, advise and support in relevant scenarios
- The drive and self-management to deliver results in a relatively informal environment
- The people skills to work effectively within the engineering team and the wider business
- A passion for mentoring, coaching, influencing and guiding individuals and large teams to reach their potential and achieve individual and collective Rocket Lab goals
- Curiosity and a drive to solve problems, innovate and challenge what’s considered possible
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.