About The Role
Rocket Lab USA is seeking an experienced and motivated engineer to lead their propulsion production in the USA. You’ll be developing the production line and production team for the Rutherford rocket engine. Your responsibility is to ensure that the engine production meets the increasing Electron launch frequencies.You will need to have strong aerospace production skills gained within a fast-paced start-up growth environment. The successful applicant will join Rocket Lab’s growing team based in Los Angeles and liaise with relevant Rocket Lab management in the USA and NZ.
You need to be a go-getter for this role that will stop at nothing to get the job done. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to have production ownership over a state of the art liquid oxygen and kerosene pump fed rocket engine.
Propulsion Production Manager’s key duties:
- Leading Rocket Lab’s propulsion production in Los Angeles
- Designing, installing and commissioning production equipment and methodology
- Ongoing development and optimization of the Rutherford rocket engine manufacturing
- Organize all necessary manufacturing support and logistics
- Ensure manufacturing schedules and milestones are met
- Maintain product functionality and improve cost efficiency
- Work with design and test engineers to further improve the Rutherford engine
- Recruitment and training of propulsion production team members
- Build a world class team around you and create a strong team culture
- Develop business relationships with local and out of state suppliers
- Organize shipping of Rocket Lab products and order manufacturing supplies
- Ensure local environment as well as employee health and safety regulations are met
- An engineering degree in Mechanical or Aerospace engineering
- 5+ years production experienced gained with the Aerospace industry, ideally within a fast-paced start-up environment
- 2+ years proven team leadership experience with a background in recruitment, training and mentoring staff
- Experienced with CAD software, CAM software, MS Project, ERP software
- Experience working with CNC mills and lathes, metal 3D printing and part finishing, TIG and laser welding, tube bending, hydrostatic pressure and flow testing, technical cleaning
- Excellent background in identifying, assessing and negotiating with contractors’ suppliers and providing logistical solutions
- Proven communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships both within the organisation and externally with suppliers
- Proven experience working to tight deadlines within a pressurized environment
- A strong understanding of safety processes, and experience with hazardous goods handling
- The ability to be un-phased by change
- Willing to travel frequently
- Management degree
- 3+ years MS Project
- Magics experience
Rocket Lab’s mission is to revolutionize the way we access space. We develop and launch advanced rockets to put small payloads into orbit more frequently, at a fraction of the cost of cumbersome traditional launch services. We are ushering in a new era of unprecedented access to space.
Small satellites have a crucial role to play in improving understanding of our planet and humanity’s impact on it. Rocket Lab’s lightweight carbon composite Electron launch vehicle is designed to give these satellites dedicated launches and flexible orbit options. From real-time earth imaging and improved natural disaster prediction, to crop management and global internet, improved access to space enables us to take informed, deliberate steps in the management of our planet.
On May 25 2017, Electron made history as the first orbital-class launch vehicle to reach space from a private launch facility. It marked a significant milestone in eliminating commercial barriers and opening space for business. Rocket Lab is rapidly scaling in size to meet the high demand from customers. The company is expanding globally and is currently growing the team based at Rocket Lab’s Los Angeles Headquarters. Rocket Lab believes in giving highly-skilled engineers ownership of complex aerospace programs from start to finish, creating a workforce of empowered and motivated individuals utilizing cutting-edge technologies to redefining how the world accesses space.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.