About The Role
Rocket Lab USA is growing. We are seeking an experienced technical manager with previous launch vehicle or spacecraft integration experience for the role of Director of Mission Management. The Director of Mission Management will collaborate with management and subordinates to create a unique customer focused environment, as well as be responsible for creating and updating all mission management and integration timelines, flows and corporate policy. The ideal candidate must possess proven leadership skills, as well as a strong ability to work within a team environment to problem solve and make sound decisions that encourage corporate growth. The candidate must have demonstrated experience in the following areas: management of a high-performance team, success within a highly demanding fast paced environment, lead identification and capture, technical interface management, spacecraft or launch vehicle integration, systems engineering, launch vehicle or spacecraft licensing. The proper candidate will guide Rocket Lab’s customers from signing a contract through payload integration and launch. This role requires a candidate who works well with a multidisciplinary team and can excel when faced with technical challenges in front of both internal and external customers.
- Improve the mission management/integration processes for each through analysis and collaboration to motivate successful solutions
- Support long-term business planning at the managerial and executive level
- Analyze the performance of mission management/integration personnel and make recommendations for improvement
- Coordinate with production management to ensure the launch manifest aligns with production schedules and capabilities
- Work with management to develop operational budgets
- Act as responsible individual for the approval of team expenses
- Lead the management of multiple Rocket Lab customer missions, including technical, programmatic, and financial milestones
- Lead and manage payload integration personnel, including fit checks, dispenser and launch vehicle integration
- Assists the EVP of Launch Services with the development of proposal inputs, lead generation, and technical sales engineering reviews
- Lead the development and verification of Launch Vehicle to Spacecraft Interface Control Documentation (ICD)
- Lead the development and execution of assembly integration instructions
- Primary customer interface to answer questions relative to management and technical requirements
- Represent the company at public events, including conferences, industry forums, outreach and recruiting events
- Lead mission Integrators in expanding Rocket Lab’s mission management skillset
- Bachelor's degree/Advanced degree in an engineering or technical discipline – Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace degree preferred + 10 years or more of applicable experience
- Ability to motivate a team to successfully meet/exceed internal expectations
- Previous senior level Mission Management and Mission Integration experience with launch vehicle/spacecraft project management
- Previous space sector engineering experience including management of customer expectations
- Proven interpersonal and organizational skills to assist with closure of sales/customer capture
- Previous leadership experience in launch vehicle and space hardware integration
- Ability to understand technical constraints relative to payload launch including results from mission specific analysis
- Proven presentation and technical writing skills
- Ability to travel to launch sites and customer sites including overseas (New Zealand and others)
- Self starter, hardworking, fun-loving, strong when faced with a challenge, and a fantastic sense of humor
Experience working with complex mechanical systems
- Experience with CubeSats, SmallSats, or other small space payloads
- Ability to lead a team in the development of mechanical and electrical drawings
- Ability to lead a team of electrical and mechanical testing
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an equal opportunity employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here.